treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.
People don't realize it, but most people discriminate against my little brother and the others blessed to be like him. Yes, I used the word blessed! While you guys use the words 'retard or retarted' as slang for STUPID or DUMB but these little blessings are not.
I know some people think I'm crazy, or overreacting. But while you sit there and you use these words or crack 'wise' jokes about some one, or referring to a movie as retarded, it is painful. It's like you are taking steak knives and stabbing them into my ears, like sharp cold ice in my stomach. You might not understand, but many people do, to name a few there's Taylah, Ashley, Patti, Adeye , Heather,and many others, so many that it would be an entire post.
I encounter people who use the r-word every day at school, oh you don't know how much I want to take them all aside and tell them the pain they cause daily, to ME!
Like my friend once told me, "You can be in a crowd and the one thing that you hear, is that word."
I totally agree, I walk through the halls and I hear it all around me....
Here is something I personally don't understand. (I don't do this) Why is it that when you say, "Oh because he's Mexican.." Or when you use a homophobic remark such as, "That's sooo Gay!" You get yelled at by fifty different people, but when some one says "Oh that's so (I hate this word) retarded, or you're a retard..." Nothing usually happens the day pass by and the person just continues to use the r-word every single sentence she uses.
Well, folks that's why we're here to educate people, to let the world know! TO SPREAD THE WORD to end the WORD!
This mean boy once told a girl I know, "At least I don't have a disability!" She acted like it was nothing, shook it off, because she must get that alot, but when I looked at her I saw hurt, pain, longing. I can tell she wants to be like everyone else, she wants to be able to learn. She is Autistic. She is a Junior in High School. She is HUMAN. And quite frankly, She deserves to be treated like one! Not like something you scraped off the bottom of your shoe!
Today on the bathroom stall in my locker room, I read, "They are not 'others'. They are US." it was etched into the wall for everyone to see. This little phrase meant something to some one, whether or not its about the same thing, it means something. And for me it means. People who are 'different' are the same as us.
I will end this long but MEANINGFUL post on that.
And the fact that a wise elephant once said, "A person's a person no matter how small!"
Love THEM like Jesus!!!!
Amanda
No comments:
Post a Comment